Saturday, November 27, 2010

Cats and Dogs

I have had three cats and one dog in my lifetime, and I am a fan of both. Curious, I looked up how long cats and dogs have been domesticated and I found that dogs have been domesticated for about 15,000 years and cats have been domesticated for about 9,500 years. With all of the talks about pets in class, I thought this would be a good topic to discuss. As has been noted in our various discussions, dogs are more dependent than cats. If a dog were to try and survive in the wild, it would have a harder time on its own than a cat. Cats have more of an independent streak and would be able to fend for themselves better in the wild than a dog. It is possible that a part of cats' independence is because they have not been domesticated for as long as dogs, but it is hard to say for sure.

My question now is this: What makes dogs so different from cats that they need to depend on us, while cats do not?

No comments:

Post a Comment