Talking about preserves, safaris, and whale watches and how they can be unsuccessful in that it is possible no animals will be seen got me thinking. In Chatham on Cape Cod, I have departed for many seal watches. They caught my attention because I had heard of many whale watches before, but never a seal watch. They take place in the summer, and there are always seals. I can't remember how expensive they are, but they are local, which means we don't have to go too far out on the water, and they are entertaining, and we learn a bit about the seals during our trip. The best part is that the seals are not contained in any sort of area and are free to come and go as they please. I have not heard of seals being injured by the boats, and it gives credit to the people doing the tours that they actually slow the boats down. That said, it is not impossible for seals and other marine life to be injured by boats. Manatees are a good example. Still, the seal watches seem to have the best of all worlds. The seals are not confined, so they can come and go as they please, and they are in their natural ocean habitat. There is a guarantee that they will be seen (or at least, I have never not seen them when I've gone on these), and we learn a bit about the seals.
With all that said, I have one question: If endeavors such as this were guaranteed to be successful, would they be more popular?
No comments:
Post a Comment