Sunday, November 7, 2010

Wearing Fur: A Response to Emily (Part Two)

Emily's question of "Are there times when wearing fur is morally justifiable?" still stands here. It wasn't until this morning that I thought of another way/reason that wearing fur can be morally justifiable. I know there are animals out there (sheep, llamas, alpacas, maybe even long-haired rabbits) whose fur is shaved in the summer to make the animals more comfortable. The heavy fur is removed, the animals' coats are lighter, and they won't be as hot. The fur is then taken, processed, and made into yarn or other materials and turned into clothing. In this way, the animals are not killed - in fact they are quite comfortable - and we get warm, comfortable clothing to wear. To me, it's a win-win situation for all.

That said, I have two questions: 1) Do you still see this as wearing fur? 2) Are there any downsides to this?

No comments:

Post a Comment